Monday, November 22, 2010

EAT Kitchen Letters Tutorial

As promised, here is the tutorial for my EAT kitchen letters!  This is a pretty detailed tutorial; probably too detailed (don't be offended when I instruct how to trace and cut out letters, for instance), but I figured I'd cover as much as possible.  :)

Supplies
Paper mache letters (E, A, and T) - you could use wood as well
scrapbooking paper
spray adhesive or mod podge
acrylic paint in a coordinating color
straight-edge (ruler or similar)
exacto knife

Start with your letters. 
 


Use your acrylic paint to cover the sides of the letters.  Also, paint a small edge onto the front of the letters.  This will be helpful when you're ready to put the scrapbook paper on. 
 


When you've painted all the letters, place your first letters on the back (or front, you won't see the marks when you're done) and use a pencil to trace around the letter.


It should look like this when you're finished tracing.


This next part is the most important for having clean lines on your letters when you're done.  Use a straight-edge (ruler or box edge) to cut slightly inside your traced line with an exacto knife.  Cut a little bit smaller than your traced shape so that a bit of the paint on the edge can be seen on the front.



Like so:

Now grab your spray adhesive or modge podge and glue the scrapbook paper to the front of all three letters.


There are several ways you could hang these up.  You could glue a string or sawtooth hanger on the back.  You could try some of those command strips.  I wanted quick, easy, and totally flush with the wall, so this is what I did.

First, measure down 1" (or 1/2", the important thing is for it to be a measured, specific distance) from the top of each lette:


Then use a ruler to measure the center.


And mark your location.  The point where the two lines meet is where you're going to make a small hole.


I decided to use a wood screw.  I hammer it in enough to break through the layer, then I pull it in and out and move it in a circle a little to make the hole a little bigger.  (Note: This only works because these are hollow paper mache letters.  If your letters are solid, you'll need to use another method for hanging.)


Repeat with all three letters,


and now they are ready to go up!


If you make some of these, I'd love to see how you made them your own!

10 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [23 Nov 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out so cute! I love them!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/11/glam-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out really cute. I made some for our dining room out of wood a while back. It was fun and easy.
    By they way, I'm from Harvest - only a stones throw from you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love giant letters. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. You may have just given me the inspiration to actually do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE these! I will definitely try this someday when we move and actually have wall space in our kitchen. For now, we're in a little box that only holds the appliances. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love my letters! As soon as we get them up in my kitchen, I'll do a post on my blog and link to you. I also used this concept with wooden letters for a wreath for my door. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guideline viability of a private look that can help you generally keep, prepared yourself just as cause segments diet system just as to perform like endeavors similarly as with dishwashing.portable air conditioner without window access

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fundamental elements of a kitchen are to store, plan and cook food and to wrap up related jobs like dishwashing.portable air conditioner without window access

    ReplyDelete