Thursday, March 4, 2010

Seasonal Decor Blocks pt. 2

I edited my Seasonal Decor Blocks post when I thought I'd found a really clever way to add one block to the original seven and get four more words than just the original 16. Later, I went to the original post at Little Birdie Secrets where I found even MORE great ideas in the comments section! With only TEN blocks, you can create THIRY different words! None of the words use all the blocks (though if someone sees a word that works, PLEASE tell me!), so you may be wondering what to do with the extra blocks while you have one word displayed.

Here's one idea:


Just use ribbons, other knick-knacks, or notions to accessorize (and don't take a picture from the side!). Another idea - maybe you can make two short words with the blocks and display them in different locations? I'm not sure if any of the words lend themselves to this, but it sure would be fun.

So what are the magic blocks and words? The blocks are as follows (with the first 7 being the original 7):

Block One: H Y E D
Block Two: A C R S
Block Three: R P E T
Block Four: V N L O
Block Five: E O M D
Block Six: S M K I
Block Seven: T F B W
Block Eight: U A G L
Block Nine: P J I H
Block Ten: F P S C

And all the wonderful words you can make (in the most haphazard order!) are:

Harvest
Welcome
Faith
Family
Spooky
Friends
Winter
Freedom
Blessed
Snow
Home
Hope
Monster
Mother
Dream
Easter
Lucky
Love
Santa
Glory
Romance
Pumpkin
Frosty
School
Autumn
Spring
Summer
Father
Fall
Happy
Merry
Fairy
Fairies
Jolly
Flowers
Wishes
America
**Edited to add:
Birthday (Thanks, Tiffany!)
**Comment on the original Little Birdie Secrets post by Kalynne also gives us:
Flake, Hearts, Christ, Jesus, Bloom, Flag, Irish, Sun, Swim, Pool, Ghost(s), Witch(es), Vampire, Fright, Thanks, Leaf, Treats, Turkey, Jewels, Cuddle, Pillow, Party, Heart, Smile, Wonder (that's a total of SIXTY words!)

If you make a set, please post a link in the comments section. I would LOVE to see how y'all took this idea and ran with it! Have fun!

Linking to the parties on the left and:





Whatever Goes Wednesday

14 comments:

  1. These are so cute!!! I love how all your letters are different styles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I featured this on One Crafty Mommy. Head on over and grab a featured button! http://1craftymommy.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-more-st-patrickss-day-decor.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave.com in the Handcraft category today [19 Mar 01:26pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I saw this tutorial and I made some of my own at http://laniercreations.blogspot.com/2010/03/seasonal-blocks.html
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for sharing this fabulous project. I made them and love them! I also posted them on my blog and thanked you!
    http://beholderinsinspirations.blogspot.com/2010/03/seasonal-decor-blocks.html
    I am even thinking I could whip these out in bulk for Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now you've really convinced me! If you can say fairies, I am totally making these. My husband would just love that! ;) (love making fun of me).
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just realized you can also do the word "birthday" and have a couple blocks to spare :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the positive feedback, girls! Tiffany, great catch! I'll edit the post to add it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone commented on the original Little Birdie Secrets post, and she found LOTS more words! I've edited the post to add those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just at the craft sotre looking at blocks and trying to think of a great year round project for them, but could only think of Christmas. Darn it! Looks like I'll be heading back there soon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the blocks!! Here's a link http://aurorascreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/seasonal-blocks-for-my-friend.html
    I love then, so much! But they're for a friend so I might need to make a set for myself too, now :) Thanks for your awesome tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love them 2 more words I found are Wonder and Smile

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!! I just finished making a set this morning! :)
    I linked back to you at:

    http://coffeecupsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/03/year-round-blocks-i-love-em.html

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete