Friday, May 21, 2010

Still Preoccupied with Fabric Flowers - Felt Flowers Edition

One of my very first blog posts is a list of fabric flower tutorials that I want to try. That was almost a year ago, and I'm not sure I've tried even ONE of those original tutorials. (I've done some other things, but there are still not enough fabric flowers in my life. I'm sure of it.) So since it's taking me longer to get back into the blogging groove after my trip than I had hoped (don't worry, I have things to share! I just haven't gotten around to organizing my photos in any coherent manner to make a post!), I would like to share with you some of the wonderful FELT flower tutorials I've come across in my blog-walking the last few months.
I am completely smitten with these simple circle felt flowers from eighteen25. I completely agree with one of the comments that they remind her of Mary Englebright flowers. And since my blog header is inspired my Mary Englebright flowers, I am obviously a fan.


I love the sweet simplicity of these felt flowers from A Hoot and a Holler. She gives some great ideas for using them, and her tutorial has wonderfully clear instructions and step-by-step photos.
I used these felt flowers like eighteen25 used (not from their tutorial, but one from Creative Jewish Mom) for my Spring Wreath (and also for a brooch I've never bothered to take a picture of and share), but I couldn't think of a good way to incorporate them into a headband. Until now. I think this grouping might be the answer to making this look work for me. (Side note - how can I get my hair to photograph like that? Mine is always frizzy and weird even if it doesn't seem that way in the mirror right before snapping the pic.)


This beautiful rose from Molly's Sketchbook uses a similar rolled felt flower for the center, but then adds some simple pieces to the bottom to transform it into this gorgeous rose! With the provided templates and clear instructions, this would be a wonderful project with a lot of potential!


This hydrangea felt flower from Made by the Mama Monster is simply enchanting, and I can't wait to finally make one! I think one with light purple and blue blooms would be simple fabulous. She has a wonderful template you can download and very clear instructions.


Part of the magic of this rolled felt flower at Wee Folk Art is the simple flower juxtaposed with the blanket stitch around the leaves. I'm usually too lazy for such details, but I think I could make an exception here because I absolutely love it.


I can see so much potential in this beauty from Epicurean Style. The instructions are very clear and require only the smallest amount of hand stitching (my kind of project). I've loved this look ever since I saw this elegant wreath at Christmas time. The idea of making ALL of those circles just made my head ache, though, so I only half-heartedly flagged it. This flower gives you that look on a smaller (and much more doable, in my book), scale. Also it's much more versatile.


I'm not sure how I've managed not to mention it, but I am more than a little obsessed with topiaries lately. I haven't made one yet because I'm still debating inside/outside, size, function, etc (I'm a little OCD...), but this one from lemon crafts has moved to the front of the queue. It just makes me smile. She provides a very clear tutorial, and since you're putting flower pins into styrofoam, once the flowers are all cut out, I imagine it goes together VERY quickly.


I love how I Am Momma modified this tutorial from V and Co. to creat this great felt corsage. I loved the original tutorial (of course), but since I'm focusing on felt flowers today, I thought I'd show an example of modifying the flower tutorials you find in blogland to suit your purposes, tastes, and materials.


My jaw absolutely dropped when I saw this gorgeous felt dahlia corsage from NotMartha that was featured on Holidash. She used fabric glue (and shared some great tips, after making several more, on her blog), but I still think I might try sewing the leaves. Hmm. I've seen some others around that other people have done using this tutorial, and they ALL turn out beautifully. A wonderful tutorial, and it has a clever suprise in the back that you might want to check out. :)


I know I've mentioned Lolly Chops before, but she really does have some of the most amazing flower tutorials I've seen. This one, for instance, is just such a clever blend of hard and soft lines, and I love the way that the layering and folding make it so that the shadows add depth and color to the flower. The layered buttons are the icing on the cake. (She credits someone else with the basic idea, but I haven't found more of a tutorial that what she gives.) This is just one of the little gems found inside her Wall Flowers Week (March 22-26, I think I flagged every day!), so please go see what other wonders await.


And finally, how wonderful are these felt posy's from Polka Dot Pineapple? I know, there's fabric on there, too, so I suppose it might be cheating, but I couldn't pass it up. She uses a punch for the original shape, but she shows such a clear picture of it that I think you could just trace it from the monitor if, like me, you don't have a similar punch. She then has a wonderful tutorial for making your own.

If you girls have some other felt flowers I need to know about, please leave a comment with a link! I really will make some one day. I just know it. :) Or if you've made some of the ones I've mentioned, show us how yours turned out! And I'd love to get some feedback on the tutorials and any hints or tips y'all have for making them easier! Also, please leave some love if you flag any of the links to make yourself! I know I love to get feedback, and I bet these girls would as well. ;)

**I've tried to give appropriate credit, but please let me know if I'm missed up a link or not given proper credit for the ideas.

12 comments:

  1. Hello there! I am visiting from New Friend Friday!
    I think the hydrangeas looks gorgeous! I never really thought about making felt flowers, but with all of the different options you posted, I may have to give it a try now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the feature! i hope you do make some soon. i love making felt anything, and flowers are definatly high on the list. off to check out your other links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including our flower amongst this awesome list! I've seen many of them, but there are a couple that are new to me. Going to go check them out now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome collection of felt flower tutorials! I will have to bookmark this and give them a try!

    HUGS and thanks for featuring my tutorial as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable post thanks for showing us all the links!! I just made a bunch of felt flowers I posted about it on my blog about a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking my flower! That's a great line up you got there. I love the Dahlia one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list! I have never seen some of these before! Thanks for featuring my tutorial!
    Jennifer
    ahootandaholler.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fabulous list, thanks!! Its a great resource instead of having to search them all out myself!! I left you an award on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow wow wow! That is such a good list! I hadn't seen all of those and now they are on my to-do list as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I've only just found this lovely list of tutorials via the dahlia blog! The hydrangea doesn't have a link. Would you still have it? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marisa! The picture is linked, but I added a link to the body of the text as well. Sorry for the confusion. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete