Friday, January 21, 2011

Taco Soup

I've been struggling with finding time to blog, so I apologize for the recent dearth of posts.  There's nothing new or upsetting that's interrupting; I think it's just one of those things.  I've considered just giving up on this blog, since I feel sometimes like I don't really add anything indispensable to the craft blogosphere.  But I decided that even if I post sporadically and don't have thousands of followers, WhimsiKel still provides me a creative outlet that I love.  Thank you to those of you that still come check to see what's new and leave me sweet encouragement. 

Today, I was excited to see The Mother Huddle is doing a soup swap link party.  Taco soup is one of my go-to recipes when I want to feel virtuous for cooking but with the least effort possible.  In fact, we had it for dinner last night.  I know there are a ton of variations, but here's mine.


Taco Soup

1 small can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz or 14.5 oz if you're not a big fan)
2 cans whole kernel corn
3 cans beans (whichever you prefer, I use black, dark red kidney, and pinto)
1 envelope hidden valley ranch dressing
1 envelope taco seasoning
meat (optional, 2 cans chicken (to just throw in with everything else), 1 pound ground beef, or 1 pound stew meat)

To prepare, you have a few options.  I open up all the cans and dump everything into the crock pot in the morning, add about half a cup of water, and leave it on low all day, stirring when (and if) I have a chance.  I
don't drain anything (except the canned chicken).  Or you can drain everything and then add water. 
If you want to add meat, I've tried several variations.  The laziest option is canned chicken (drained).  But you can also brown ground beef or stew meat and add it in the morning with everything else.

Serve with sour cream, cheese, and/or fritos.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish. Tonight we are having soup. Clam Chowder and chicken noodle (from blue cans :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taco Soup is a huge hit in our house. I also add a can of spicy refried beans. Yum!

    ReplyDelete