No Ten on Tuesday today. Instead, I want to share a quick project I worked on this weekend.
There's a saga behind this project, but I won't bore you with the details. Instead, let's look at some pretty pictures:
(Please follow the source link before pinning these - they aren't my projects, and I shouldn't get credit. Thanks!)
Gorgeous oilcloth-covered tables! And they used several different methods for covering: staple gun, sewing elastic around the edge, sewing a seem to fit, even hot glue!
I wanted to replicate the look on the cheap and easy. I wasn't sure how it would work in my kitchen, so I didn't want to commit without trying it out (which meant staples, nails, and glue guns were out). And I didn't want to sew, which meant the other methods shown were out as well.
So first I started with a vinyl tablecloth from Target. WAY cheaper than oilcloth, and I wouldn't be nearly as upset about cutting it up (or throwing it away if I didn't like it). I put it on top of the table and cut around the perimeter about 6" away from the edge of the table. Next, I cut little slits all along the edge of the tablecloth about an inch from the edge. I used a safety pin to weave string through the slits. Pulled it snug, tied it off, and called it good.
Seriously cheap AND easy.
I LOVE how it looks. I love that it doesn't cut off my line of sight like a tablecloth does. My husband and I both love that we can wipe it off with a washcloth. I love that when I get tired of it, I can buy another one without freaking out about how expensive it was and how much time and effort I poured into it.
I'll be linking this to the parties on the left!