I bought a basic wreath at Hobby Lobby. I'm not sure what they're called, but it was the cheapest ($3.99ish), and that's what I was going for. Then I bought a half-yard of the cheapest fabric I could find ($3/yard or so) that was as close to the color of my front door as possible. I followed this tutorial for making binding (I modified it for a half-yard rather than the fat quarter she used and did 2" strips). The principal is the same, but you get a very bizarre spirally piece of material before you cut - just go with it. Sorry I don't have any pictures of that part - I didn't really think I could improve on her instructions. Once I had the VERY long 2" strip cut out, this is what I had to work with:
I began by pinning the fabric to the wreath each time I looped. I used dressmaker pins so they would be as inconspicuous as possible I always pinned on what I had decided would be the back side. This is how it looked a few wraps after I started:
And this is how it looked when I was half-way through.
When I finished, this is what the back looked like:
And this is what the front looked like:
It's not much to look at, but this is going to be the base for all my seasonal wreaths. That's why I wanted it to match the color of my front door; the base color is neutral for any season or whim. Now I can buy things that I can easily pin on and remove when I'm ready to switch the theme. Then I can store each of those in a ziploc bag and have all my seasonal wreaths stored in something the size of a shoebox rather than a moving box (or 3).
For this valentine theme, I unfortunately don't have many pictures. The lighting was atrocious, and I didn't think the visuals would really add very much.
I started with 2 pink feather boas from Hobby Lobby ($4/piece). I pinned one along the outer edge and one along the inner edge. The outer boa was a little short, but the inner one was long, so I just cut the extra 8 inches off and pinned it to the outer edge. I used regular quilting pins that I had on hand for this part. When I started, I tried to use the pink ones, but they got covered by the pink feather boa, so in the end I used whatever color was closest.
After that, I took three pieces of plain craft felt (also Hobby Lobby, 4/$1) and cut them into three-inch sections (I know these look like they're red, but I promise they're the same shade of pink as the boas).
I used my machine to gather these (I just gathered the felt as I fed it toward the needle) and then sewed them into one long circle approximately the size of my wreath (so you would modify the number depending on wreath size, how tight your gather is, etc.).
I then pinned the gathered felt to the front of the wreath using more dressmaker pins. Now when V-day is over, I can grab some cheapo St. Patty's day material to pin on and so on and so fifth (as my husband's grandfather used to say).
Here's the finished product. I think it could use a little more, but I was pushing to get it done before Sunday, so more embellishments will have to wait for next year, I think. Thanks for checking this out. It's the closest thing to my first tutorial, so I'd love some feedback!
I'm linking to these parties: