Friday, July 30, 2010

Books, Fish, and Pearls

I love libraries. I used to go to the library all the time growing up. And I think I read most of the sci-fi section in our small local library during high school. Lately I don't have as much time to sit down to read a book, but soon after I started my first real job 3 1/2 years ago, I realized I needed some audiobooks for the commute. (Am I the only one who still calls them books-on-tape half the time? Even though they're cds?) So I'm well in to my 30 Before Thirty goal of reading The Chronicles of Narnia. I listened to The Magician's Nephew last week, and while it wasn't full of action, it was entertaining, and I found the symbolism fascinating. Now I'm waiting for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, so I can continue the series.

In other 30 Before Thirty news, both of the red fish died. Lame. We'll get others this weekend at Petsmart, I think. Maybe guppies, since I kill fish even faster than I realized.

Also, I made my new lanyard for my badge at work. Fake pearls. I didn't want to tell until I'd tried it because I thought it might look dumb, but I'm a fan. They're super safety-conscious around here, so our lanyards have to have a breakaway (velcro or something that will release, so we don't get garroted or something. I don't know why. I work in an office. But whatever). I wasn't sure how to work that into looking "classier" until my friend suggested a magnetic clasp. Genius. Pictures to follow; I keep forgetting when I'm at home in the evenings, and the guys at work would give me such a hard time if I tried to get a pic at the office. :)

I'm considering stringing the glass pearl beads for the lanyard as making a piece of jewelry. That would make it a twofer. I love the word twofer.

Enough rambling. Happy Friday, Friends! Enjoy the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the lanyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower from the Friday blog hops. You've got a great blog! I hope to see you at Dropped Stitches!

    xo Erin
    droppedstitches72.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've peaked my interest on the lanyard! BTW, your boy has 'moves'. Today during music time he was bobbing his head to the beat of the songs... we were all giggling because he was right ON and we were impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love to read!! I married a non-reader though and he just doesn't get it! ha.

    psst...check out my blogpost today, I have an award for you :)

    ReplyDelete